[3830] ARRLDX CW N7XU(K4XU) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 17 20:01:12 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: N7XU

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Or
Operating Time (hrs): 28:40

   20:  419   100
   15:  586   106
Total: 1411   398  Total Score = 168,152

The bands sure were hot on Friday night. In that sweet hour-long glimpse we get
of  Europe I felt like I was back on the East coast. The NE/SW dipole had
become tangled in the tree and would not pull free so I left it there with 20
feet going up and the rest about 30 ft lower than usual. Other than a slightly
higher SWR, it seemed to pull through okay.

I did not call CQ until I ran out of S&P targets about 18Z on Sunday. Played
the rest of the time as a point-and-shoot monkey.

On Sunday morning the A index was up to 8 and 10m was quiet. The whole 10m band
map was red with unhearable Europeans. And then at 1650Z they started to come
out of the noise. Any Eu station with a pile of callers would stop on hearing a
7 in the call and work us for the new multiplier. It's fun to be passing out a
new one for a change. I tried calling CQ but couldn't hold a frequency even
though there were plenty calling me once the skimmers got my call. Makes you
wonder what it be like to have a full 1500W instead of the 500, but it sure is
nice to change bands quickly. Then at 1715Z they disappeared again but it was
good enough for 24 European mults in just 25 minutes.
Did well with 6-banders this year as I snagged 15 mults through the plasma TV
crud on 160m. What I wouldn't give for a couple hours of city-wide power outage
sometime!

Even with a full six hours of sleep Saturday night 1.6M is a personal best
score from here. My thanks to all for the QSOs. See you again next year.

73,
Dick, K4XU  ....N7XU in contests

Radios:
K3 and Omni6+. KPA500 amp at about 550W output.

Antennas
HF: TH6 tribander at 75 feet, TH3 at 40 feet fixed due east.
40m: se/nw and sw/ne dipoles at 65 ft
80m: inverted V at 70 ft
160m: Inverted L with 40 radials
300ft at 330° and 470ft at 30° reversible beverages.