[3830] ARRLDX CW NW3H SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 17 20:33:42 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NW3H
Operator(s): NW3H
Station: NW3H

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Skippack, PA

  160:    0     0
Total:  467   250  Total Score = 350,250

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

My best ARRL CW score to date.  96K improvement over 2012.  This was a 100% S&P
contest using my R-8 vertical and my 80/40 meter dipole.  My vertical is
currently missing the top piece.  It fell to the ground in December during a
wind storm. It was probably weakened by Sandy in late October.  I have not have
a chance to fix it yet due to weather conditions here.  I was not expecting
much. You know, top 4 feet of your antenna falls off and you expext issues.
Other than a slightly higher SWR (1.6 wit the tuner) the antenna actually seems
to perform better on 20 meters and just like it always has on 40,15, and 10.
With the vertical and my AL-811H I was treated to a fun weekend.  I picked up a
couple all time new ones and many new countries on 80 meters.  On Friday night
while using my low hanging (highest point 35 feet) dipole I was working Eastern
European stations with one call.  Again shows sometimes you can use rabbit ears
and get over the pond.  I started on Friday night with those great conditions
on the low bands.  Then on Saturday morning my wife woke up with a terrible
migraine.  That left me in soley in charge of my 3 year old and 5 month old
daughters as my wife was out of commission. Normally a terrible thing
especially so during a contest weekend.   Only had nap time on Saturday
afternoon but luckily since they both were up at 5:30am they both slept over 3
hours!  After I got them to bed and had dinner it was off to the shack to find
conditions were not as good as the night before.  Headed for bed around 11pm.
I woke up at 6:30am and since Sunday is my day to sleep in normally instead I
headed up for the shack and worked 40 and then 15 meters.  I quickly was able
to catch up from Saturday and then surpass my expectations for my score by 9am.
 My wife took our oldest out with her and I was home with the baby.  While she
played with her baby toys in the shack I continued picking off mults one after
the other as ten meters opened to EU thankfully though for me the window seemed
to last only a couple hours.  Then during nap time the fun continued.  I hit
300K and kept going.  Went QRT at 5PM as it was time to get the girls ready for
dinner and bed.  All in all this perfomance exceeded my best case scenario
expecations for this weekend!  Glad to make a contribution to the FRC.
Conditions were interesting.  Hopefully for ARRL DX SSB in two weeks we will
have much more solid conditions and higher solar flux.  Thanks to the DX for
pulling my tiny signal out.  73 de Bill NW3H.

Rig: IC-7600
Antennas: Cushcraft R-8  40/80 meter dipole
Logger: N1MM v 13.2.2