[3830] ARRLDX CW TI5W M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 17 22:07:12 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: TI5W
Operator(s): N3KS, NI1N, KL9A
Station: TI5W

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Costa Rica

   80: 1235    58
   40: 1698    58
   20: 1595    59
   15: 2069    59
   10: 1920    59
-------------------
Total: 9143   349  Total Score = 9,572,721

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was the third in what can now be called a series of contest expeditions to
the ‘jungle’ house QTH on the side of a volcano in Costa Rica.  Our intent
this year was to operate in the one team category that we had not operated so
far â€" i.e. Multi-Two. Each year we have added more antennas and capabilities
to the station â€" and this year had a lot in place â€" until of course Murphy
struck..  Our original team of five operators was cut to three after Filipe,
CT1ILT, had to cancel and Jim, WX3B, caught the flu bug just before he was to
depart home  and did not recover quickly enough to fly in time for the contest.
 A shame for Jim, as he had organized a lot of the expedition details and
equipment logistics (and was also bringing replacement parts for a blown
amplifier.)  So we had a team of three, and proceeded to amend our antenna
installation and setup plans accordingly.  In the end, we got everything done
in time, but had only a half legal limit amplifier available for one of our two
operating positions.  So by Friday, it was apparent that Jim was not going to
make it down, so we had a decision to make - either operate multi-single or do
multi-two with a three man team.  We decided to do the multi-two and ended up
having a great time.  It seemed conditions were great on the low bands both
nights, and the high band conditions were excellent on Saturday â€" we reached
6,000 qso’s at exactly the 24 hour mid-point point of the contest.  Sunday
was a different daytime story â€" neither 10m or 15m opened fully for us and it
was very slow going.  Our goal was to exceed the long standing multi-two record
that was set by 6Y1LZ, and we managed to just squeak past the claimed score
near the end of the contest.  Congratulations and thanks to everyone on the
TI5W team for a great experience, and to the operators around the world that
participated in this contest.

Operators:  N3KS, NI1N, KL9A (Missing WX3B, CT1ILT)

73!
Kam  N3KS