[3830] ARRLDX CW K2PS SOSB/10 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 18 16:27:19 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K2PS
Operator(s): K2PS
Station: K2PS

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: DC

Total:  446    84  Total Score = 113,985

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I really didn't expect much this year for a single band, LP 10M operation.  Last
year was painful, with 176 Qs and 67 mults.  Had to get on 15M (with my 10M
yagi) to relieve the boredom.  This year, though, I only went to 15 to look for
mults I could encourage to move to 10.  Only found one, C6ANM.  Figured swapping
my rare mult for his was an even trade (although maybe Paul, N8HM, the only
other DC active station as far as I know, already worked him).  But noooo.  He
wanted to wait until "later."  Never did work him on 10.  I did have a lot of
stations try to move me - I even set a function key to send "SRI, SINGLE BAND
ONLY."

I was guessing that I wouldn't have much competition this year, figuring that
stations who went through the pain last year wouldn't be so eager this time
around.  That may turn out to be true, we'll see.

So Saturday was probably a bit better than expected, given the solar flux
numbers, in that we actually did have an EU opening.  I was able to run a
couple of times, once at a rate of about 58/hour, but just for about 40
minutes.  Didn't have a whole lot of faith that Sunday would be any better, but
I thought that hey, I've already put in a whole day, may as well gut it out
Sunday.

Of course, Sunday was a whole other experience.  Had an early mini-run at about
60/hour for 15 minutes at about 1330, and I'm thinking that this is a repeat of
the day before.  Poked around for the next hour calling stations, but just
before 1500, found a clear frequency up at 28086, and amazingly started getting
a bit of a pileup.  The rate meter got pushed up to about 185, and I ended the
run averaging about 120/hour for the next hour and a half.  Sweet!  Ya just
never know...

73, Pete, K2PS/3 in DC