[3830] ARRLDX CW OM7RU SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Feb 21 11:04:55 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: OM7RU
Operator(s): OM7RU
Station: OM7RU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dolna Micina

Total: 1712   225  Total Score = 1,155,600

DAY1: I started the first contest night on 80m as main band with quite good
rates, 160m to making of necessary mults and on 40m with not high chance for
good pileup. Low bands was nice opened. I got few nice pileups on 20m and 15m
on Saturday afternoon, with only few 10m QSOs digged from the noise. Strong QRN
was switching ON/OFF from S1 to S9 in one moment...

DAY2: Low bands conditions were opposite to last night: 160m with 1 QSO, 80m
with rare qso from time to time, few pileups on 40m (nice surprise with simple
InvVee :) 15m was opened early after 20m opening on Saturday  afternoon, which
gave good base to hope of possible good opening of 10m. And that was true. Few
hours of few nice openings to directions of only few US states. I also
experienced nice pileup, but major amount of 10m QSOs were S/P.

Mr. Murphy visited me from time to time and caused fault of my ACOM 2000A
output relay. Relay protection circuits switched PA to StandBy state due to
relay switching timing problem. The longest period of random StandBy switchings
took about 1 hour. Fortunately, problem was solved by itself, next random
periods were only a short. Unfortunately, problem occured just during QSO...

My main problem was deficit of sleeping. I didn't sleep a lot before the
contest. Family duties didn't allow me to sleep between 40m closings and 20m
openings... 2 hours sleeping during Saturday/Sunday night was not sufficient.
So sorry, if my traffic looks like race of deaf snails at the end of the
contest.

My station setup misses Low Bands RX antenna, which decrease so useful TopBands
mults, and QSOs number on 80m and 40m. Also PA vacuum relay will have to be
replaced till next contests in HP category.

So, I broke 1 milion and my feeling is quite good in competition with home
stations. My goal is to be competitive with similary equipped stations - DJ5MW
(over 3 milions... congrats!), DK7WW or LZ2BE. Lot of precise work waiting for
me.

Thanks to all participants!

 Used equipments:
Yaesu FT-1000MP MarkV Field
ACOM 2000A (1,5 kW OUT)
MicroHAM microKeyer, MicroHAM StationMaster
WinTest
UltraBeam UB ONE rotator

 Antennas:
160m: Vertical (35m tower + 2 elevated radials)
80m:  OptiBeam OB1-80 rotary dipole @34m
40m:  InvVee @21m
20, 15, 10m: Cushcraft A4S 3 el. tribander @31m

73!