[3830] RTTY Roundup VA7ST Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 7 01:45:58 EST 2013

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC

Total: 1009  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 41  Total Score = 98,882

Gear:
* FT-2000 + FT920 + DX Doubler
* N1MM + MMTTY
* 80M phased elevated verticals x 2
* 40M wire quad 2 ele
* 40M Steppir dipole at 27'
* 3 ele. Steppir at 27'
* 18AVT/WB all-band vertical with 6 radials

2013: Flux: 145  | Ap:  2  | Kp: 1
2012: Flux: 136  | Ap:  5  | Kp: 1
2011: Flux:  85  | Ap:  5  | Kp: 5
2010: Flux:  78  | Ap:  0  | Kp: 1
2009: Flux:  70  | Ap: 10  | Kp: 1
2008: Flux:  79  | Ap: 14  | Kp: 3

Lost most of an hour Sunday early afternoon to Murphy (computer needed many
restarts after someone did something wrong while swapping ICE filters. No
names, but it was the single-operator). Also had a few less-than-30-minute
breaks that count as op time. Real time on the air was about 20 hours.

High bands were in great shape. The piddly vertical on the second radio found
some great mults, but I should have done a lot more hunting instead of running
on two bands. SO2R newbie mistake. Second radio accounted for about 1/3 of Qs,
most of those using the all-band vertical.

Did anyone else from the West Coast get shut out by 40M? Hundreds of stations
cramming the band, and only a handful could hear me on the full-size 2-element
quad, the vertical or the rotary dipole. Nothing seemed to get out beyond WA
from BC. At least from this QTH. European signals were whopping big, but with
100W I only managed to be heard by a few.

In the final hour, I tried CQing on a jam-packed 40M and landed only a handful
of close-in stations. Jumping on CQers produced virtually no response, even
when they were 40-over here. Truly one-way propagation (east to west).

Glad I didn't go high power this year -- aside from frustration on 40M, I had a
ton of fun with 100 watts.

Thanks for the contacts!

-- Bud VA7ST

Year-over-year performance review: