[3830] RTTY Roundup K8AJS Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 7 06:10:30 EST 2013

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH

Total:  752  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 56  Total Score = 84,976

I had a good time in this event, conditions seemed good and the station was
working, I don't know what went wrong. As usual, I enter an event with the
desire to do better than I've done before, and this year it just didn't happen.
My QSO total was down mainly on 40 and 20 meters; I think I didn't run enough on
Saturday, and, judging from my results on Sunday, I also didn't move to 40
meters early enough on Saturday. Seems to be poor planning; hopefully I'll do
better next time…:-)

I'm really more of a DXer than just a contester and I always go into contests
with the objective of working DX. With that in mind, I didn't feel that I
worked a lot of countries, although that may be more a result of the contest
than anything else, judging by the country totals on a lot of other scores
listed here. I did have 5 more multipliers than last year and the increase was
in countries worked, so I guess I got what the contest had to offer.

I didn't work all the states, again. Last year I missed DC, this year it was
Delaware. I know Delaware was on, I heard a station on 40 meters Sunday
afternoon, but he was searching and pouncing, not calling CQ. I did the old
trick after hearing him of moving up the band a little ways and calling CQ for
a while, but he didn't come my way or didn't hear me.

All in all, I enjoyed the effort and had fun in the contest. Every one is a
learning experience, one of these days I need to get everything working and use
both radios to do SO2R in a RTTY contest. I've never done that and it would be a
good new tool to have. Maybe next year…

Thanks to everyone for hearing me and providing the contacts. I hope everyone
enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all there again next year!

Radio: FT1000MP
Antennas: G5RV (40/80), Quad (3 el 20/15, 4 el 10)
Software: WriteLog 11.04a