[3830] RTTY Roundup AC0C Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 7 15:44:26 EST 2013

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KS

Total: 1773  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 68  Total Score = 223,398

Club: KCCC

Comments:

Thanks for all the QSOs!

Having moved in August 2012, this was the first contest run from the new
location.  Really a blast.

Shack and antenna work was ongoing right up until test time but overall things
were pretty smooth compared to all the things that could have went wrong...  I
say "pretty smooth" considering that the antennas, shack, So2r controller and
even the Windows OS setup along with new application installs were all fresh
and unproven!  Unfortunately, the weekend was not without trouble; both amps
quit early on Sunday.

The Alpha has one tube which has been glitchy for the last year and I've been
planning to look into it - but never did.  Had some trouble with it on Thursday
but hoped to get through the weekend without further trouble.  And then the
SB-200 (runs a pair of GI7B) stopped on Sunday as well - just an hour or so
after the Alpha!  What are the odds of that?  Overall about 2 hours were lost
fiddling with the amps.  In retrospect, I should have not attempted repairs but
I initially thought it was a quick and easy fix.  Fortunately, I was able to get
the Alpha running again.  But with the lost repair time and then the SB200 out
for the rest of contest, the hit on Q rate was significant.

Q rate also suffered as I tried to figure out how to take best advantage of the
antennas, bearings and bands.  At the old QTH, these options were mostly
predetermined by the antenna and QTH constraints.  Fixing the amps will be easy
- learning to work the bands like Ed, Mike and Don will take a lot longer.

Like some of the others, having seen the SFI, I just KNEW that 10m was going to
be the big suprise and hung around there too long.  80m run rates were unlike
anything I have experienced before not having a good 80m antenna option at the
old QTH.  The dipole was a better performer than the vertical as it seemed the
DX participation for the most part was weak.  The 40m 4-square worked OK for
domestic stuff but I really need to add a get a mid-height dipole.

Look for you in the WPX!

A big thanks goes out to the KC area guys who helped get the shack and antennas
setup.  Thanks again gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!!

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com

Gear
----------------------------------
Yaesu FTdx-5000MP with DMU-2000
Yaesu FT-2000 with NS roofing filter
Alpha 76pa - 900W
Heathkit SB-200 with Gi7b and other modifications - 900W
N1MM and Microham MK2R+

Antennas
10m 4 ele OWA 10m @ 82 feet
15m  4 ele OWA 10m @ 77 feet