[3830] RTTY Roundup W4VIC Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jan 8 11:50:15 EST 2013

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W4VIC
Operator(s): W4VIC
Station: W4VIC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA

Total:  275  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 27  Total Score = 21,175

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

PRO III, MicroKeyer II, N1MM v. 12.12.4 SteppIR DB-18 @ 50', Inv "L" @ 35 feet
for 80M.

Limited, error prone effort.  Competing meetings took time away.  RF Gain
control on PRO III appears to have been fouled -- possibly by atrophy of
disuse!  For Saturday operating time I could get no more than about 50 Watts
from the radio -- VSWR on output and on radio was fine.  Trying to work 80M
RTTY with 40 Watts under somewhat noisy band conditions and contest operations
was futile!  Could not hear close in at all -- a characteristic of the Inv "L"
antenna that was working overtime in this event.  Adjusting radio for Sunday
morning SSB net caused adjustment of the RF gain control -- output popped right
up to expected 100 W. level after exercising the gain pot.  Ah, so!  You gotta
watch everything.

I was surprised at how well I worked on the upper bands with limited power.  I
worked everything I heard, usually on the first call.  Tried running, but at
low power the effort was not productive.  No fir-balls for me, if I didn't get
the Q in a couple/three calls I moved on.  Overly motivated behavior by too
many made the contest less fun, especially in the last hour or two.  I'm
resigned to quitting early to avoid blood pressure problems -- something the
young turks don't have to worry about.

Contests are getting to be like homecomings -- I recognize many of the calls I
work as regulars on the contest circuit.  Old friends reuniting, to get poetic
about it.  Thanks for the Qs -- see my old friends in NAQP CW for sure!  73,
Vic, W4VIC