[3830] NAQP CW W4VIC Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 13 11:16:35 EST 2013

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W4VIC
Operator(s): W4VIC
Station: W4VIC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
Total:  326   112  Total Score = 36,512

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC 2

Comments:

PRO III, MicroKeyer II, N1MM v. 12.12.4 SteppIR DB-18 @ 50'

Probably wrong, but I counted 3 'countries' as Mults -- what else does one do
with indicated 'countries?'  I trust that the contest robot will sort it all
out.

9 hours S & P all the way.  Didn't plan it that way, but high noise and weak
signals tend to swamp my hearing aids and I just couldn't run successfully. I
needed to hear some calls twice before they 'registered.'  But I enjoy the
hunt, even though most of it is just cruising up and down the bands.  Maybe I
could really enjoy a contest where RUNNING is not allowed -- where you had to
move after a successful CQ.  Sounds like SPRINT, right?  Might have to check
that out.

Amazing what barefoot will do when you don't have a choice of higher power!
Most Qs were earned on first call.  Thanks guys.

80M Inverted "L" was found on the ground before the contest started.  160M "L"
was OK, but the noise level on both 80M and 160M resulted in no QSOs -- S9 + 15
- 20 dB.  I have new neighbors and I think something 'unhealthy to me' may be
going on over there.  I will make friends and try to check that out.

And, it seems, to a dedicated S & P'er, that there might be a whole crop of
not-yet-proficient ops trying to use SO2R (Mark, SO3R??? hi hi).  Partial CQs
and partial calls are seemingly becoming prevalent, and too many times
answering a CQ is met with silence -- too much silence.  Jumping in and
claiming the freq as unoccupied doesn't seem to be a profitable response to
that situation -- so is this the NEW NORMAL -- sitting and waiting for some
highly motivated super-star to show up?  That does not float MY boat!

Anyway -- we do this because we love it, right?  Thanks for the Qs, ladies and
gentlemen (several ladies noted!)  73, Vic, W4VIC