[3830] NAQP CW N4CW Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Jan 17 11:21:22 EST 2013

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FL

  160:   0      0
   80:   2      2
   40:  25     13
   20:  16     10
   15:  10      9
   10:   3      3
-------------------
Total:  56     37  Total Score = 2,072

Club:

Team:

Comments:

That was a great experience for me, operating "Field Day style" from St.
Augustine, Florida. I used the KX3 (barefoot) and the antenna was made from a
50-foot spool of #18 Radio Shack speaker wire. I used half of the pair for the
antenna and half for the "counterpoise". The antenna and counterpoise were
connected to the rig through a BNC-to-binding post adapter. The antenna and
counterpoise were run out the window (over the metal sill...only protection
was
the gap so I wouldn't "scrunch" the insulation)then the antenna was carried up
to the roof (the edge of the roof was only 8 feet or so off the ground) and
draped on the roof/shingles...no standoffs, no insulators!). It worked pretty
well and I would have made more Q's, especially on 40, but I forgot to bring
the AC adapter for my laptop logger so I ran until the batteries gave me a "Low
Battery" warning. That was just under two hours operating!
Thanks to the folks that dug me out of the ether!!!
My only complaint with the setup is that reception wasn't as good as expected;
I suspect the wire laying on the roof shingles was pretty lossy!!! 73