[3830] NAQP SSB KB9OWD Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 20 01:22:17 EST 2013

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI

Total: 1081   182  Total Score = 196,742

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: Dead Lizards Can't Run

Comments:

My personal best but could not quite squeak out 200K.

Bands were interesting.  10 produced a good amount of QSO's early but very
localized, west coast with signals up and down.  15 was good early SE and to
the west coast, more steady than 10 for me.

20 was just a bottomless pit all day. Even into the evening, when rate got slow
on other bands, I could come back and pick right up where I left off it seemed.
40 and 80 disappointed here.  I am interested in seeing some of the numbers on
40 especially locally.  The band was decent with good rate right when it
opened, but then went flat here.  I heard very few west coast stations and got
CQed in my face many times after about 0100Z.  Could not get any rate there at
all.  About 90% of those QSO's on 40 are before 0030Z.  As a result, I missed
several mults out west that normally are in the log on 40.  Not sure if it was
conditions or something with the station....

80 was noisy here, about 10 over 9 at all times.  I had some folks call in but
again, just could not get anything going there and a lot of the calls were a
struggle.  No receive antennas which also hurts when the noise is like that
here.

I was happy with the 160 numbers considering the use of an inverted L with
again, no receive antennas.

I started off with a headache and it got worse as things went on.  The QRN made
it worse and by the end, it was pretty much out of control.  As a result, I made
some mental errors in the last few hours that cost me some mults.  Even though
my QSO and score are a personal best in this one, my mults have been higher and
that hurt the final score.  A lot of moves worked but many did not as well, but
thanks to all that tried.

All in all, a fun day at the radio!  Thanks for all of the QSO's, see you in
the next one!

73,

Ryan KB9OWD