[3830] NAQP SSB NX5M M/2 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 20 11:50:48 EST 2013

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, N5XJ, KJ5T
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TEXAS

Total: 2977   270  Total Score = 803,790

Club:

Team:

Comments:

The day started out with me tending to my duties as a basketball coach and a
referee.  Next up, meet with the rest of the team at our favorite local eatery
at 11am.  One person missing.  Where is KJ5T?  Text messages and phone calls
are going unanswered.  Well, we do not have much time....lets eat.  Next
problem, the restaurant is full and we do not have time to wait so we head
across the highway to another of our favorite places.  It is now 45 minutes
until contest time.  We finally get our food at 1135 so we have no choice but
to annihilate it fast.  By the time we pay the tab it is 1147am. A mad rush to
the station and we are there 4 minutes before the start without a clue what
bands we want to start on.  Quite a morning so far!
About 30 minutes in a text message comes from the missing operator.  Without
telling the whole story, I have made a new rule for NX5M operators: "Taking a
sleeping pill the night before a contest is prohibited".  In the end Steve made
it here about 2.5 hours after the start of the contest.  Once again I almost
fired him.
10m was long and did not produce nearly as many mults as last year.  We had 30
less than last year.  15 was still good when we left but it was time to move
on.  Everything in between was about normal with the exception of multipliers.
160 never did seem to have a great deal of activity.
We had planned on doing NAQP CW the weekend before but called it off with an
elevated thunderstorm potential.  Having been shut down by storms last August
with 2.5 hours left was very irritating so it was nice to be able to operate
this weekend without having to worry about weather conditions.