[3830] NAQP SSB N5FO Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 20 15:44:43 EST 2013

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NM

  160:    6     6
Total:  531   146  Total Score = 77,526

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Rig : Kenwood TS-590S 100W

Antennas : OptiBeam 16-3 TriBander, Cushcraft R8 Vertical (for 40M), 80M
Inverted V, 160M Dipole

Soapbox :
This was my first effort at NAQP SSB.
My performance in this contest was very disapointing for two major reasons.
(and, Maybe I set my goals too high (800 Q's & 200 Mults)).

First I couldn't seem to sustain the rates on the upper bands where I have a
good antenna. And second, I was not efective at all on 40, 80 & 160 in running
or getting many, many stations I heard failed to respond to many calls(with
competing QRM) while in S&P mode.

The one good result in the whole effort was the verification that my new single
beverage pointed NW works well, allowing me to hear many stations on the lower
bands with a much better S/N, and seemed to quite directional also.  Plans are
to expand these this week for the upcoming WW160CW to include another aimed at
JA abd a third at the Carribean.

I'd like to be able to say I had lots of fun, but found myself just grueling it
out, especially for the last few hours!