[3830] NAQP SSB N3A(KE3X) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 20 20:08:40 EST 2013

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N3A
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Clarksburg, MD

Total: 1030   199  Total Score = 204,970

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Team #2 (Die-Hards)

Comments:

The District of Columbia Amateur Radio Society sponsored the special event call
'N3A' for these two weeks leading to the 2013 Presidential Inauguration
tomorrow.   So what better way to get that commemorative call on the air than
in the NAQP Phone contest?  The most important question was:  Which President's
name to use?

My first choice was 'Teddy' after Teddy Roosevelt, my all time favorite
president and original Rough Rider, who once gave a speech with a bullet in his
chest.  Then I considered 'Nixon' (too hard to spell), 'Barack' (but then only
52% of the population would likely call in), and Ronald ('Morning in America'
Reagan ...) but none of them felt quite right.

Ultimately I settled on 'Jack' (aka 'Kennedy') as the best choice.  It was fun
being President for a day, although I certainly could have used some Secret
Service guys to help clear a path through the pig farmers on 80!   Once I moved
below 3780 things improved quickly.

For more information on N3A see the QRZ.com page.   A commemorative QSL card
will be available (SASE please).

As for the contest itself, like many others I also set a personal best score
for NAQP Phone, which I attribute less to any improvement in my SO2R skills
than to the increasing number of participants and this year's NCCC/SMC/PVRC
competition.   Certainly 20-Meters was a bottomless pit and in hindsight I
should have spent more time there.

Thanks to John Evans N3HBX for the use of his fine Clarksburg station for this
contest.    See you in the next one!

Ken KE3X