[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K3TUF Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Jan 23 21:47:45 EST 2013

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K3TUF
Operator(s): K3TUF
Station: K3TUF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN10we

  903:   42     9
  1.2:   48    10
  2.3:   26     7
  3.4:   25     7
  5.7:   18     7
  10G:    9     4
  24G:    5     4
-------------------
Total:  714   152  Total Score = 269,952

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Another fun contest, thanks to all who participated.  My score is down 20
percent from last year, of course I need to find out why.  Was it
participation, or possibly the various issues that plagued me.
We did have several dedicated Rovers in our area: K1DS, W2MC, NN3Q, KM3G, NE3I,
N3XUD, N2SLN and VE3OIL.  Thanks for your dedication and braving the wind and
cold, we appreciate it.
I did not find the 6 meter opening that folks are talking about, when I heard
about it, I didn't find any distant stations.  For most of the contest the line
noise was extremely high on both 6 and 2.  Looks like I need to mount an effort
to mitigate noise.  Some meteor scatter skeds were blank, either no rocks or no
one on the other end.
On several occasions 6m was lost to what ultimately was found to be an
intermittent cable.  Took an hour off to find it.
Back in November I started grooming a new computer and brought it into
production just after new years hoping that was enough time.  It was not, there
were many disruptions that were programming related that caused frustration.
Fortunately the new computer has an SSD, so it was back on line quickly.  But
this should never happen.  Hope to diagnose that one soon.
The most exciting event of the weekend was the contacts on 24GHz, all of them
were on SSB.  With the dew point so low, signals on 24 were louder than the
"lower" microwaves.  This is something to look forward to in the future.
Thanks for all the contacts.
Phil K3TUF FN10we