[3830] CQ160 CW N5RZ Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 27 16:15:39 EST 2013

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N5RZ
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: N5RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 1092  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 31  Total Score = 253,704

A fun, albeit frustrating weekend.   Seems those mean ole East Coasters stole
most of the Europeans and left precious few for us out here in the Wild West.
I did get 29 the second morning, which was better than the first when I only
worked 5.

Only 15 JA's, all the first morning between 0919Z-1032Z with a straggling
JH5FXP at 1155Z.  No local sunrise peak either morning and KH6/KL7 the only
other western DX.

Good condx to the south, but no Africa.  Worked all states & missed VE5 VO1 VO2
VY1 VE8 & VY0 for the domestic sweep.   Good stateside activity kept the rates
up.

The Hi-Z 8 circle RX array continues to amaze.  Better than the beverage over
90% of the time.  Band was very quiet - virtually no atmospherics & only a
litte tad of line noise to the Southwest.

Biggest experiment was the radio used.  I recently picked up a FlexRadio
Systems FLEX-3000 and have been using it the past month.  Decided to try it in
the contest and I must say I was very impressed.  Too many details to describe,
but it is excellent for SO2V.  The bandscope is great.  Was neat to have N1MM,
PowerSDR (the "radio" window) and the Elecraft W2 Wattmeter window all right in
front of me on a 27" monitor. Used a DX Engineering RTR-1 interface for the RX
Antennas & I was off to the races.   Make a few "cockpit operator errors" along
the way, but pretty much had the system tamed by the second day.

Thanks to all for the QSO's.   CU in the CW Sprint next weekend, then K5RZA & I
will be off to KP2 to do the CQ WPX RTTY contest - hope to see all you RTTY
types then.

73, Gator

Equipment:

FlexRadio Systems FLEX-3000 + Alpha 99.  DX Engineering RTR-1 RX Antenna
Interface

Transmit Antenna:  Inverted L, Base elevated 5' with 4 elevated 130' radials.
It is vertical for 60' & horizontal for 110'

RX Antennas:  Hi-Z 8 circle + 580' NE beverage thru a RAS-8 combiner

N1MM Logging Software + K1EL Winkeyer USB + Bencher Paddle