[3830] CQ160 CW NE9U Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 27 18:43:49 EST 2013

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: NE9U

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI

Total:  QSOs = 985  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 31  Total Score = 229,050

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Operated from my Up Nort Florence County cabin.

Luckily drove up Thursday night as last weekends 50-60 mph winds ripped my
inverted L down that I left up after ARRL 160.  My pulley/Halyard didn't do the
job!  Spent Friday morning with the torch/Solder repairing the damage.

Conditions seemed pretty good Friday night, although never seemed to hear a ton
of Europe...think i worked 7 or 8 Europe.

Saturday night later was much better...worked more Europe that I ever have in a
160 contest.  47 dx in total.  31 from Europe.  I know that pales compared to
some of the guys to our south and East, but I was happy from the NorthWoods!

The first 4 hours or so of Saturday evening were horrible.  Signals were very
weak and I had a LOUD buzz across the entire band that eventual diminished by
around 1500Z.  That had to have been the Aurora covering Northern
Wisconsin?????  And then when it went away the band opened gangbusters.
Strange.  Wonder if anyone else from Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota or U.P.
heard it?

Thanks for all the QSO's and see you all in a few weeks in WQP/mobile.  MNQP
for next weekend isn't looking good for me....but you never know!

Scott  NE9U

Equipment:

Inverted L (30-35 vertical)
K9AY Loop