[3830] CQ160 CW W1NN Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 27 19:42:56 EST 2013

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH

Total:  QSOs = 610  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 22  Total Score = 120,813

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Operated remote from my apartment in Tokyo using a TS-480 and a dipole at about
45 feet.  This radio is totally inadequate for eliminating the zillions loud US
stations CQing on top of EU DX, but most of those EU stations can't hear me
anyhow.  The best thing about operating this contest for me is that it is
entirely a daytime contest, starting at 7 AM local and going through bedtime.
But with no chance of doing very well, I just operated part time and took a lot
of breaks for meals, walks and watching the final two days of the January Sumo
tournament on TV.

Conditions were great as far as I could tell.  No significant noise and very
strong signals from the west coast and EU.  Not surprisingly, only the loudest
EU stations can hear me and mostly at their sunrise.  I missed the EU sunrise
on the first day but quite a few managed to pull me through on the second night
and I even had 3-4 EU stations answer my CQs.

I managed to work 47 states (missed MT)and 8 provinces.  I worked a couple of
KH6 stations with this same setup in CQWWDX last November but I only heard two
very weak stations S&Ping so no KH6 in the log this time.  No AK heard.

This event really brings the stations out of the woodwork.  I always work a lot
of calls I never work in other contests.  It just continues to get better and
better.

73, Hal W1NN