[3830] CQ160 CW PJ2T(K8ND) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 28 08:52:23 EST 2013

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K8ND
Station: PJ2T

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 26:09

Total:  QSOs = 1383  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 67  Total Score = 1,709,375

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This is the 7th time I've operated this contest from the PJ2T station, and the
third time I've done it as a single-op. My PJ2T multi-op partner (and boss) Jim
W8WTS is busy populating our new factory with amazing tools and robots, and I
was unable to convince my old W8LT topband teammate Victor K1LT to make the
trip. Maybe next time.

In the week before the contest, it was obvious that the ambient noise level
here was *much* lower than usual. There was no rain during that week, which is
very unusual, and the lack of storm activity locally and on the nearby South
America mainland made for a very pleasant operating experience where entire
callsigns were heard and logged without "letter-mining"!

This was critical, as I did not have my full complement of receive antennas.
Since I was here alone, I did not have the ability to deploy our DX Engineering
4-square RX array, which is installed "Field Day Style" for each contest. If the
ground were grassy field, I might have been able, but the terrain is coral rock
topped by aggressively thorny vegetation, and pulling 1000-feet of RG-6 through
that is a challenge. Plus, I am not in the best physical shape, and temperatures
are in the mid- to high-80s. The chances of completing a successful installation
and tear-down convinced me that it was not practical. With the quiet band, I was
able to hear South America and Pacific stations on the transmit antenna, and on
an 80-meter inv-V that I wired into my RX antenna switching system as a
temporary RX antenna.

I'd heard that HK1R was gunning for my old SOHP South America record (from
2006), so I decided that I would defend it rather than repeating an effort in
SOHP-Assisted. I do loves me my Skimmer technology, but all four DSRs (SDR-IQ x
3, Perseus) sat un-powered on the table next to me for this contest! Jorge is a
capable and driven contester with a much bigger station than PJ2T, and I was
prepared to be challenged on my favorite band.

It was much harder this year to establish a run frequency. Just when things
started to look like I might be able to work some stations, a strong US or
European station would power-up CQing on me (within 100 Hz) with no
preliminaries. Most ignored protestations. (HK3O zero-beated me and CQed as my
sunrise period started Sunday, ignoring me. I was/am annoyed.).

I miss the concept of a DX window. While I'm generally loud enough to not need
it, many weaker DX stations have no protection from strong European or North
American CQ Machines working others locally. This hurts the low-profile
stations in the US and Europe who want to work some "new ones" during the
contest. Of course, the current rules in this contest have no mention of a DX
Window, and bandplans have eliminated it as well. Stew would not approve.
Sigh...

I had one extended and uninterupted period of an EU run Sunday from 0400Z to
about 0730Z on 1845. It was as if someone had thown a switch at 0400Z, with a
seemingly never-ending stream of European Russians mixed with others. All were
copiable as full calls without repeats needed, which is always a pleasure!

I CQed exclusively. High point was being answered by EY8MM and T6LG in quick
succession.  D44TIB and RI1ANF called in. Five JAs on Saturday, but I opted to
not to move down into the very-crowded JA transmit window (1810-25) on Sunday
as I already had the multiplier. One VK and two ZLs, all on the transmit
antenna Sunday morning. 31 South Americans in 11 countries: great turnout! 310
European stations logged in 35 countries, but missed some I'd hoped to see:
GD/GI/GU/GW, CU, 4O, TF, and even LA! Of the States and Provinces, I worked WAS
(except for AK), but missed Canadians LB, SK, NU, NWT, and YT: sorry!

I worked many members and former members of CCC (the club which built and
operates Signal Point PJ2T), and many operators from around the World who have
operated with us here! It's always nice to see those callsigns pass by in the
log! Thanks to the CCC for continued support of the station and my operations!

My score was a 30% improvement on the South American record for SOHP set in
2006. It was even more than 18% larger than my SOHP-Assisted score from last
year!

Radio: Elecraft K3
Amp:   AL-1200
TX Ant:  Inv-L (60-feet vertical, sloping up to 90-foot level) ~60 radials
RX Ants:  1000-foot EU Beverage
                590-foot US/JA Beverage
                80m inv-V