[3830] CQ160 CW KD4D(@N3HBX) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 28 09:27:12 EST 2013

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KD4D
Operator(s): KD4D
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 1093  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 49  Total Score = 420,184

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Great Fun!  Thanks again to John Evans for letting me use the "farm" again.  He
has installed a new "HiZ" vertical 4-element array - this helped a LOT with the
snow static and various types of band noise.

When I arrived, the 3-element K3LR vertical wire array wouldn't accept 500
watts without having the SWR jump up and, sometimes, "stick".  What to do?  I
decided to try LOW POWER.  This was a first for me in the contest. I had no
idea what to expect.

What did I learn from this?  As I've read before, "Attitude is everything".
This didn't change my operating technique a lot.

1)  I was able to run - even a rather productive European run for over two
hours Saturday night!  :-)
2)  I did get pushed around the band a bit more.
3)  I could work MOST of what I could hear.  I did not have much luck calling
Europeans on our sunset - many CQ'd in my face.
4)  I could bust most of the pileups.  I had to work at it though - listening
to see what the DX station was responding to, varying speed and frequency,
etc..  Running high power, I have to do less of this.  Breaking the pileup on
3V8BB Saturday (couldn't get through Friday) was a highlight of the contest for
me.
5)  Don't work the Friday before the contest starts.  I knew this one, but...
:-)  I fell asleep after our sunrise Saturday for about 20 minutes.

The band was very good Saturday before European sunrise.  I worked KH6 but no
other DX west - no ZL/VK, JA, KL7, etc..  Zero Asia QSO's!

Rates and multiplier information follow.  Thanks for the QSO's!

73,

Mark, KD4D

1/25/2013	179
22	87