[3830] CQ160 CW K7KU(K0KR) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 28 18:50:45 EST 2013

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K7KU
Operator(s): K0KR
Station: K7KU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Wyoming
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 897  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 23  Total Score = 186,462

It was the typical 160m tale of two nights, each having its own, individual
points of good news and bad news.

FIRST NIGHT

Good news: pretty fair conditions; 636 Q's; 49 states (missing only KL7).

Bad news: no EU sunrise opening for me.

SECOND NIGHT

Bad news: dull and flat conditions overall; only 261 Q's (yes, there's always
the frustrating 160m second-night syndrome, but this was somewhat worse that
usual); still no KL7 for me.

Good news: spectacular (if brief) EU sunrise opening granted me a welcome boost
to my mult and points totals.

For the casual op in the U.S. inter-mountain west ("interior west," if you
prefer), CQ160CW can be a joyful frolic in the park -- make a few hundred Q's
and turn off the rig. After that, a strong dose of diminishing returns must be
swallowed. This makes it harder and harder for some of us to stay in the chair
as the hours pile up, and creates a risk that good openings will be missed. I'm
afraid that I myself succumbed to the lure of a few too many non-radio things to
do during the course of this contest, limiting my on time and costing me points.
Oh, well.

On a pleasing note, there was plenty of WY activity this year:  I was lucky
enough to work W6KGP, N7NG, WC7S, and WY7FD.  Glad to hear each of you fine
fellows!

Thanks to one and all for the valuable Q's, and for patient and needed
repeats.

73,

Bob, K0KR (op of K7KU)