[3830] CQ160 CW W0AIH(K0TG) Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jan 29 00:37:11 EST 2013

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: WI

Total:  QSOs = 1155  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 46  Total Score = 337,995

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Paul had to work Sunday, so I was Single OP this weekend.  I decided to take a
stab at SO Assisted. As the contest started I was not crazy about the idea.
After I got into it a bit it was more fun.  I used Writelog on my laptop and it
was great to see all of the blue on the bandmap.  All stations worked that were
spotted and then some that were not.

The first night there was not much EU heard.  Things opened before their
sunrise.  I could only work less than half of what I could hear.  Frustrating!

2nd night things did not look all that great. The K was 4. Not a peep heard
from EU all night until about 0430Z when a DL station answered my CQ.  I had a
fabulous 45 minute run! Now time for some S&P to close things off and grab more
mults.  The country count doubled in that time.  I ended the first night with 26
countries and I doubled that.  It also added over 100K to the score in that
time. The run went on to about 01715Z.  I never expected anything like that at
the beginning of the evening.

On the complaint side, what is with stations that look for an open freq, send a
couple question marks then after a 1 second delay (if you can call it that)
start CQing. This always happens when you are listening to the response from
the station you are working. Then it is impossible to tell them that you had
the freq before they got there.  I ran into that situation a lot this weekend.
More than normal. Listen for more than 5 seconds please!

Worked all the states.  I noticed a lot of activity from ND and SD. Lets hope
they keep it up for more contests.  VE sections missed were: LB, NU,YT.

DX worked:

NA:
6Y, CM, FM, HI, J7, KL, KP2, TG, V3, XE, ZF

SA:
CE, HC, HK, PJ2, PY

EU:
4O, 9A, CT, DL, E7, EA, EI, ES, F, G, GM, HA, I, LY, LZ, OK, OM, ON, OZ, PA,
S5, SP, UA, UR, YL

Asia:  UA9

Oceania: KH6, VK

AF: 3V, 5N

Sunday AM I heard a JA station. Apparently no one else did as they were not
calling them. But I could not get thin in the log either.

Thanks to Paul for giving me have a big iron weekend!

Oh, driving home in the snowstorm was fun too.  :)

http://www.qth.com/w0aih/

73, John  K0TG