[3830] RAC Day VE4RAC(VE4EAR) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 7 19:23:14 EDT 2013

                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE4RAC
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4RAC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20:15

  160:    6      2       3         2
   80:   33     70       6         8
   40:   50    152       8         8
   20:  124    604       8        10
   15:   81     73       6         5
   10:    2      2       1         1
    6:    1      1       1         1
    2:    0      1       0         1
Total:  297    905      33        36  Total Score = 490,314

Love the RAC contests, a great casual opportunity to say "hi"
to old
friends across North America. This was a new category for me as I have always
stuck with Phone only categories. However having "inherited the RAC
callsign, I felt obligated to try an all mode entry.

It's like playing in the big kids sandbox in the SOAB category compared to SSB
only. Clearly different strategies are needed, not to mentions some propagation
would have been nice.

Paul N4PN was my measuring stick and as we worked 10 times throughout the
contest, it was interesting to see how his QSO total compared with mine. Monday
morning we were even but as the day progressed I lost ground...likely due to my
poor CW skills. Paul's in an excellent location to feast on VE stations on 20
and 15 if the bands are open.

80m and 160m are only for thos serious folks that put a serious effort into
this contest. Western Canada stays on 20m at the start and 40m does not open
well until a lot of the VE3 stations head for bed. Of course 80m is even
worse.

15m provided a good opening to ON and quite good to BC. AB was weak and SK was
pure ESP contacts.

Spent too much time looking for the territories on 15 and 20 without success.
Never did hear any of them.

The only station  heard on 10m was N4PN, other than a local.

I am sure next year Cary VE4EA will assemble a powerhouse CW team and take the
RAC torch.

73 all and thanks for the patience and QSO's

73
Ed