[3830] IARU N1EN M/S LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 14 10:57:39 EDT 2013

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N1EN
Operator(s): N1EN
Station: N1EN

Class: M/S LP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   11      0      3       2
   80:   84      2      7      19
   40:  135      8     17      28
   20:  232     48     24      35
   15:   67     15     11      12
   10:   26      0      6       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  555     73     68      98  Total Score = 262,612

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Propagation was lousy at the start of the test; the first 5-6 hours were more
like a QSO party than a DX contest. Until mid-late afternoon, it seemed almost
futile as an LP station to attempt to work any EU station.  Thank goodness for
1-pointers; now I know how the QRP guys must feel!

But we must have charged the ionosphere back up; after those first several
hours, conditions improved significantly.  The improvement was too late to
salvage 15 meters.  20 became just OK, but seemed wonderful in comparison to
the abysmal start.  40 and 80 were OK, especially with Mother Nature giving us
a break from thunderstorms....but the noise floor on 80 did creep up as the
night ran on.  160 was meh.   I stayed up too late Friday night to be able to
stay up all 24 hours; and I stayed up too late Saturday night to see what
morning greyline brought (...and looking through the early comments, I see that
that was probably a mistake.)

M/S due to use of the cluster. The ten-minute rule is *really* annoying for
single-op assisted folks, by the way, but I survived, checking slow bands just
before taking nature/puppy/mealtime breaks.

This was the first time I used the new antenna switching system "in
anger"; I'm looking forward to giving it a shot in a contest that permits
SO2R.

Rig      : K3 (no amp)
Antennas : 80m Carolina Windom @ 55 feet
           160m Carolina Windom @ 20-40 feet