[3830] IARU KD9MS SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 14 14:10:57 EDT 2013

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KD9MS
Operator(s): KD9MS
Station: KD9MS

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: IL EM57

  160:    8      0      2       3
   80:    3     11      4       5
   40:   61     19     10      15
   20:   39     35     20      20
   15:    6     10      5       5
   10:    0      0      0       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  117     75     41      48  Total Score = 40,406

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Didn't get to work as much of the contest as I wanted to. My son had a baseball
tournament (I HAD to go to that) and I was gone from 1400Z to almost 2300Z so
there was the biggest part of the DXing day! I am glad there was no CME to
destroy propagation like during the DL DX RTTY the week before because I would
have just quit!

10 meters was non-existent for me since I missed most of the good daylight. 15
was quiet early and I missed a lot of that although I did get some HQ points
from there and even a zone 28 from HG5N but all I really got was SA after 2300Z
from 15.

20 was ok but noisy and since I found out that my "new" explorer 14
has a bad 15M trap I was confined to 15 or 40 on that antenna on the 2nd radio.
I still don't have the rotor fixed from before the ARRL DX SSB so  will try to
fix both this week! So I worked a lot of 20 on the FT-2000d and TH7DX at 56'
and 40 mainly to EU (tried anyway) on the FT450D and the Explorer 14 pointed
and locked up at 50 degrees. It works fine, I just can't turn it but I still
got a lot of QSO's with it. 77 of 80 QSOs on 40m with that radio and antenna!
Not too bad!

80 meters was just a total problem. I think the relay on my RCS-8V needs to be
cleaned, cause the SWR would just go crazy and when I switched the antenna to
160 and back it worked better. Been a while since I strayed cleaner in there so
maybe that'll be a "this afternoon" job. Since my 80m inverted L is
uninstalled, I had to use that inverted V on my main tower. Still worked some
DX with it!

160 was noisy (is this news to someone)so all I was able to do was just close
in stuff. When I moved the other tower we had to cut down some 80' oak trees.
HANG ON! The ice storms we had in 2008 and 2009 did a number on them and killed
both trees. When we dropped the trees Christmas Eve 2012, they got some of my
ground radials with 10" diameter limbs stuck in the ground about 8 feet
from 119 ground radials buried under my 160/40 inverted U. I was still able to
make contacts with it during many of the contests from Christmas up to this
point so its ok, but I need to fix those.

K9AY low band home brew was eaten by 5 Labrador puppies after the ARRL SSB so
no quiet receive antenna until I get that fixed, and the puppies adopted.

In all I was quite pleased with the contest. I did hear N1UR on 20 working
stations I couldn't even hear at a feverish pace. That was pretty cool. Strong
signal as usual and thanks for the QSO Ed. A big thanks to all my SMC family
for their encouragement and help. Without them I would still be dumb as a rock.
Find a contest club along with your local club and get involved!!!

Thanks to everyone who answered when I replied to their CQ (all S&P again)
and I hope it isn't another 18 years before I get to work my next IARU!

73, Craig KD9MS