[3830] CQWW VHF W4IX SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 21 15:20:43 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W4IX

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: SC

    6:  93     50
    2:   2      2
-------------------
Total:  95     52  Total Score = 5,044

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Brought a couple of old ICOM radios back from my dads house and decided to fire
them up to see if I could play in this one. The IC551 VFO would not change in
one direction, used a straw and some alcohol to fix it...ran about 8 watts to
my 10 meter 105BAS yagi at 45 feet..Radio did not have any VOX so I had to
manually switch to Xmit in both modes. I also used an ARR SP50VDG preamp which
helped immensely. On 2 meters I used the IC251A. I did not have an antenna for
this band so I just hooked up a 1/2 wave 6 meter dipole to it...I managed to
work a few locals with it but when i hooked it up to a SWR meter, it was really
bad with inly about 1 watt out so I scrapped that band and concentrated on 6
meters. Saturday the band never really opened at the beginning and was a real
struggle, but soon enought it popped open really great to the NE and Midwest
and I actually managed to run stations for awhile. worked some nice grids from
ND,SD,NE CO & TX and many more closer states. The band died around 0230Z so
went to bed. Got up early and checked the band, hrd WA1OJB and K1MS beacons at
0850Z...wow, is this a good sign? Worked K2ZD in FN21 at 0940Z and K4MM in EL97
at 1000Z...wow 8 watts and a 10 meter yagi!! band opened to Texas around 1200Z,
W5PR and NR5M were propagation anchors the whole day..at times they were 60
over 9 on my IC551 meter...so the rest of the day was pretty slow with the band
jumping from place to place for most of the day, it never really opened up like
the previous day...did manage to work NP4A, ZF2EZ & CO2WL...pretty amazing
I would say...73''s and thanks to everyone for the contacts...