[3830] NCCC RY-Sprint WQ6X(@N6GEO) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 21 23:56:41 EDT 2013

                    NCCC RTTY Sprint - Jul 19

Call: WQ6X
Operator(s): WQ6X N6GEO
Station: N6GEO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Brentwood Ca

   80:   20     7
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  255    95  Total Score = 24,225

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was another Multi-2 operation with WQ6X (Ron) & N6GEO (George) from
Brentwood Calif.  Ron ran 20-meters exclusively, while George covered 80, 40,
15 & 10. Our participation allowed us to test-drive a pair of FLEX-1500
installations in preparation for an upcoming RTTY contest expedition.
We had to sort out a number of Windoze Vista "blue screen" events as
part of our computer preparation.  Once the contest got under way luckily there
were no further blue screens.

Radios: (2) FLEX-1500 radios into a pair of Tokyo HyPower 50 watt amplifiers.
Antennas: a TH-3 Jr. (6mh) and a Hygain 8-BTV laden with radials.

Band conditions we so-so with some serious atmospheric noise at several
points.
Our money bands were 20 & 15, with some success on 40 & 80.  10 meters
never really did open up for the SF bay area and we were not equipped this
weekend for 160.

So typical of competitions lately is stations not checking to see if
frequencies are in use before jumping in.  We may not have had the loudest
signal around, however we were noticeable enough that we were obviously
hearable and yet stations moved in on us anyway.

I also noticed a lack of breathing room around the NCDXF beacon on 14.100;
which to me is inexcusable.  If you don't know about the 14.100 beacons then
you should not be operating 20-meter RTTY in the first place.

Overall, this event was a lot of fun.  It's nice to get to know people on a
"first name basis" in this contest.  Look for WQ6X in the upcoming
NAQP contests.

  Ron
 WQ6X