[3830] CQWW VHF K9GY/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jul 25 22:12:34 EDT 2013

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K9GY/R
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: Rover LP
QTH: IL

    6:  49     27
    2:  26     12
-------------------
Total:  75     39  Total Score = 1,960

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Original plan was a two grid rover (EN51+61). Purchased a deep cycle battery to
use with the FT-857D...but hatched a "grand plan" on Fri night to
rover to MI (EN62,72,61,71 corner) on Sat...then on Sun rover to EN51,50,60
corner.

Although hadn't tested out the new battery and FT-857D yet. In addition, one of
our cats became ill on Fri night. So fell back on the EN51+61 (original) plan.

Good thing too since the battery only lasted about 30 minutes since I hadn't
cycled it for four charges yet...oops! FT-857D isn't supposed to be operated at
less than 11.7 volts. Therefore for most of the contest I was using the FT-817
(5 watts).

Spent 4.25 hours at EN51xr and 5.25 hours at EN61fm. At high power, 6m gets
into 2m but not the other way around. So better to have QRP with close spaced
antennas anyways.

For the most part 2m activity is on 144.200...Can we spread out a little bit or
is this a simplex contest on 2m? Weather was fairly hot over the weekend so
being in the car was ok with a breeze. Once the breeze died out Sunday
afternoon I packed it up.

See you at the CSVHFS conference!

Rover Over,
Eric