[3830] IOTA OH0B Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 29 06:29:26 EDT 2013

                    IOTA Contest

Call: OH0B
Operator(s): OH2BH OH2MM OH2PM OH6KZP
Station: OH0B

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Brando

   80:   176      49      182      44
   40:   405      89      299      57
   20:   465     113      681      98
   15:   368      66      246      50
   10:   139      25       90      22
Total:  1553     342     1498     271  Total Score = 15,953,325

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This was a fun gig, with high QSO rates all around. Even the bright red aurora
looming over the northern IOTA counters mostly evaded us. The high number of
active IOTA stations was a pleasant thing to behold, and as a result we managed
to exceed our seemingly high pts/QSO target of 8.5.

Our team was a mix of seasoned warhorses and youthful enthusiasm, a blend that
kept both RUN and MULT stations going even in the wee hours of the night. None
of us had prior experience of a serious multi operation in the IOTA contest,
and for example the earlier serious single op IOTA contest experience of the
undersigned took place 6 years ago. We were thus learning as we went along.

Band conditions were mixed, with 80m-20m generally being quite fine versus 15m
and especially 10m performing below average. Our bandwise goals for 15m and 10m
remained beyond reach. In contrast, our station setup coupled with the decent
propagation allowed us to do really well on 40m and 80m. Our target of 60% SSB
and 40% CW QSOs turned into about 50%/50% as another reflection of poorer
average SNR.

Thanks to all parties for a nice weekend. Despite the rigorous race, the
warhorses remain standing -- both the more seasoned and the younger ones!

Kim OH6KZP