[3830] USCntyQP K5YAA/M MobileCW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 30 15:20:04 EDT 2013

                    US Counties QSO Party

Call: K5YAA/M
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: MobileCW HP
QTH: 23 Counties

Total:  858  Counties = 167  Total Score = 479,139

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

I had 90 Phone QSOs with 10 Mults on Phone not in the CW log - the total score
reflects both mode totals.  I had 177 total multipliers. 10 unique ones on PH
along with 91 QSOs on PH.

Had a good trip with no problems except parking on a couple of county lines.
Barely got off the concrete path!  The generator coughed a couple of times and
I had to restart to get it perking again.  I attributed it to the altitude but
it may be the ride on the trailer that's doing it in.....

I got quite a few stares looking at my 6 meter HO Loop on the roof of the van -
I just waved and kept rollin'.  Looked at 6 a few times and never heard an
opening.  Seems that's the way I have always thought 6 meters was like - no
openings.....

I found there are a good number of FB CW operators in MARAC.  Moved right along
with fairly high speed CW and didn't have many requests for repeats.  Maybe that
was due to the fact I spotted myself where there was service available.   Two
county lines there was no signals from the internet.  Fortunately others helped
out by spotting me.  I could tell when the spots took hold - the pile up
ensued!

I want to recognize a handful of stations that rode with me through the Ozark
mountains.  K1TKL(25), N6MU(35), LY5A(15), KN4Y/M(20)(Thanks for the new GA
county Seminole - down to 3 in GA now) K7INA(15), WA6KHK(33), W7GVE(12),
VE5KS(36) (A big Canadian signal) K4YT(18), KC3X(24), YV5OIE(24), W0EAR(9),
W5IL(20), KS5A(25), N3RM(32), NW6S(30), W0GXQ/M(5) (Two new ones for me in ND
),N4AAT(14) and many others, too many to name - you know who you are as I am in
your log hopefully.

The Missouri hillside was a beautiful green as it usually is.  I spent ten
years in central Missouri at the high end of the Ozarks.  Raised my boys and
did a lot of fishing during those ten years.  It's a wonderful state.  The
roads in southern Missouri wind and feel like a roller coaster at times.  I
found myself on Saturday afternoon in the middle of Branson with all the
vacationers.  I don't know why you would take a vacation and sit in lines on
the road waiting your turn to turn but there were hundreds of them and it took
me several minutes to get out of the crowd!

My log reflects every state except AK, HI, DE, NH, NV and VT.  CA was quite
active as was TX.  My buddy AK5X loaded up his 20 meter yagi on 40 meters and
worked me - Thanks Bill because you were the only TXDLLS mult in the log.  On
SSB 20 you knocked my socks off with that signal!  Good to hear your voice.

I found good openings on 15 and 10 meters but not many takers on 10 - a few
followers made it down there and worked me.  Thanks for the QSYs.  I tried 80 a
couple of times but no one was around resulting in zero Qs on 80.

Sunday I made a couple of driving mistakes and found myself in St. Francois
county magically!  Stopped and put out a few in that county.  The other driving
mistake found myself in Reynolds county when I was looking for Dent county.  I
stopped in Reynolds and passed out several Qs.  The two errors caused me to not
make the Dent/Phelps line as planned.  Nevertheless I made it in 23 counties
which was more than planned.  A good trip overall and I saw some beautiful
farms with a lot of cattle in the fields.  Also, there can't be more than a
couple of Armadillos left in Missouri because I saw most of them on their
backsides with there legs turned UP.  One was right smack on the yellow line in
the middle of the road!  He almost made it....  Possums are another breed that
the count has to be down on too.  I saw many squashed ones.  I didn't hit the
two deer that crossed in front of me fortunately.  I also didn't hit any birds
like W0GXQ talked about last week.  I was fortunate to not hit any animals at
all.  Didn't see a live armadillo or possum - they were all dead!

Thanks to all for a great radio weekend.  I always enjoy putting N4PN and K4BAI
in the log.  They are CW nuts like me! See you in the Kansas QSO Party as W0L
August 24 and 25.  Let's do some more radio.....

73 - Jerry K5YAA

Rig:  The Oklahoma Land Rush Mobile - A Dodge Caravan pulling a trailer.
      K3, Tokyo HP Linear and Tarheel antenna plus a M2 6M HO Loop.
      Honda e2000i generator.
      N1MM logging ( needed the right abbreviation for a county or wouldn't let
   me log it ) Caused me to stop and look up several county abbreviations before
I continued with the run.  Not a big problem because as the weekend went along,
several operators got there county abbreviations down. N1MM is quite a logging
program.  The programmers have it down to a science for sure.  Thanks for the
FB work.