[3830] IOTA G6PZ(M0DXR) SO24Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 30 16:43:56 EDT 2013

                    IOTA Contest

Call: G6PZ
Operator(s): M0DXR
Station: G6PZ

Class: SO24Mixed HP
QTH: Bristol

   80:   137      34      101      30
   40:   308      48      253      52
   20:   382      60      524      82
   15:   123      25      212      49
   10:    63      13       72      16
Total:  1013     180     1162     229  Total Score = 6,681,015

I could not decide on category until the last couple of hours. As the station is
not set up for SO2R, I felt inclined to enter in the assisted category. However,
I prefer unassisted so (and following a recommendation from Gerry GI0RTN) went
for unassisted. I finished work early on Friday and spent the afternoon with my
wife Gemma 2E0WPX and our daughter Rebecca, and then hit the road for Somerset
at 18:00 Local. Thank you yet again, as always, to Gemma and Rebecca for their
understanding of my hobby. The roads were good �" a nice clean run down,
which for a Friday night is rare. On arrival checked out the bands and had some
nice runs to the USA on 20m up to 2am then got to sleep. At 7am Paul and I put
up the 80m 4 square, a simple set up of cranking up the luffed over elements.
It only takes about 10 minutes. This worked great first time, no issues. Got
the logging software Wintest set up. Decided to run the IC-7800 as opposed to
the 7700 due to a slight audio problem on the right hand station. Managed to
get another hour of sleep before the start, which for sure helped. I started on
20m SSB and immediately had good rate.

I knew that this contest had to involve quite a lot of search and pounce as the
island multipliers are real score boosters. Conditions were certainly not their
best. Could not hear anything on 10m on day 1. Worked some JAs on 15m, but not
a huge volume of them. Some nice mults and good conditions to YB and the China
area. It was great to hear Steve (9M6DXX, also G4JVG) operating as 9M8Z. Later
on, Steve had an outstanding signal on 40m. Plenty of UK activity, and a nice
observation about operating in the far south of the UK is that it’s far
enough from a lot of the Scottish islands to work them on the higher bands.
Good signals from stations such as GM7V, MZ5A, GM3F. Also got the guys down on
the channel islands, GJ2A, GJ6YB and a couple of MU’s. My Cray Valley friends
at M8C were giving it some from the Isles of Scilly just ‘down the road and
right a bit’! The low bands, particularly 80 but also 40 demonstrated high
levels of static crashing which made it difficult at times. USA were loud on
these bands, but not a huge volume of them. Worked a load of USA on 20m on the
Saturday evening �" and the nice thing about this contest is you can find
a clear run frequency, unlike CQWW when it crammed to the band edges (and beyond
sometimes, but that’s another topic!). On the second day conditions were
better and 10m opened just in time to bag some mults before the end. I noticed
with about an hour to the end that my 15m mult count was low, so I spend the
last half an hour or so searching for them and this proved quite successful.

Thank you to Paul G6PZ for use of the great station. Thank you to all those who
were able to QSY to another band on request.

Cheers,
Mark M0DXR (Op. at G6PZ).