[3830] ARRL June VHF KB9OWD Limited Multi-Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 10 13:45:33 EDT 2013

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Limited Multi-Op LP
QTH: WI

    6:  26     15
    2:  10      6
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  36     21  Total Score = 756

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

A few weeks ago I had a root canal that began before the lidocaine had a chance
to settle in.  Conditions this weekend brought back unpleasant memories.  This
was painful for the most part.

On Saturday, it was too nice to be in the shack so I reran the coax and took
the VHF setup on the back deck to enjoy the weather and some radio.  Conditions
never amounted to anything and it was bad!!  My only non local contact on
Saturday was a 5 in NM that was in for about 3 minutes and gone.  The good
part, he was an new grid for me!

I would say I sat about 6 - 7 hours on Saturday for minimal action.  I did find
2 stations in nearby EN42 for a new grid as well!

Sunday, I had to volunteer at a fundraising efforT all day and could not get on
until 2100Z.  I missed a few QSO's that morning most likely but nothing major.
When I got home, the band was dead, no E's, no local, nothing.  I headed
outside, mowed the lawn and came back again to nothing.

The only action were some E's to TX and OK area in the last half hour.  Really
strange conditions, there was nothing and all of a sudden tons of huge signals
in 5 land.  I was listening on SSB to a station 10 over 9.  2 CQ's later, he
was gone as was the rest of the opening in the blink of an eye.  16 of my 26
QSO's on 6 meters happened in the last 40 minutes.

Congrats to those that battled it out under less than optimal conditions!

73,

Ryan KB9OWD