[3830] ARRL June VHF N8II Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 11 17:37:58 EDT 2013

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  129    37  Total Score = 4,773

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Sometimes I wonder why I do what I do, the pace for the majority of this would
have easily been beaten by a turtle. My antenna does not work well and my
location is surrounded by fairly close mountains in the way of almost everyone
except the very locals and local hill toppers, so even with a big station
upgrade the results would not improve that much with conditions like we had
last weekend. Es was about as limited as it gets for June, at least we had a
few openings. The majority of the contest was a round of CQ's followed by
S&P, neither of which was very productive. I probably called st least a
dozen CQ's for each one that was answered.

Local activity was pretty good, but after the Es opening which ended around
1605Z Sunday, I only managed another 19 Q's.
The only Dx worked was my first Es QSO at 1834Z, a YV5 with a good signal. The
next Es worked was almost an hour later EM22, then EM00 x 2 Q's ending at
2015Z.
Only a big gun in EM31 was worked the rest of Saturday evening. The
"big" opening Sunday started at 1444Z working in order EM05, EM04,
EM26, EM12, EM10, EM20, EL49, EM50, EL59, EL29 and ending with EM60 at 1605Z.
The whole contest, I don't think anyone answered my CQ's on Es; all Es Q's were
S&P. Most of the stations worked were big guns and the Texans had a pipeline
into 9 land which made for some struggling.
On the bright side, on ground wave I worked two VE3's in FN04, and one in FN03
a  long haul from here over the Alleghenies. But, I missed FM28 (heard W3GNQ
loud once) barely over a hundred miles away and also FM06 which is easy if I
catch K3KO. Nothing was heard from New England except W3EP once and a very late
struggle to heard by W2SZ not heard at all until then. My coverage to the west
beyond the Alleghenies is nearly non-existent only hearing K8RYU beyond the
borders of WV and PA.
Thanks to everyone who struggled to copy me, but I think it is time for a VHF
test hiatus.

73, Jeff N8II