[3830] All Asian CW K7IA SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 16 20:31:44 EDT 2013

                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 1:27

   20:   6      5
   15:  43     36
Total:  49     41  Total Score = 2,009

There wasn't much op time available for this one, owing to the presence of a
large forest fire (called the Silver Fire) that began nine days ago only a few
miles from our QTH (boundary is only 3 miles at present).  We spent the week
gathering up and relocating the "important stuff" to safety and
watching the progress of the growing numbers of firefighters in the battle
(presently over 600 here, despite numerous other western states wildfires).

For the past several days the fire moving in our direction has been
significantly slowed by relatively cool temps, especially at night, elevated
humidity (by New Mexico standards) at night, fire burning downhill,
encountering more and more dispersed scrub (as opposed to tightly-packed mixed
conifers at the mountain peaks where the fire began), and moving against the
prevailing southwesterly winds.

We're not "out of the woods" yet, but yesterday we retrieved a few
"essentials," like Erin's sewing machine and related stuff, and
enough control boxes to put a K2 on the air today.

It was good to have some time away from thinking about fires and defensive
perimeters, etc.  20m was so-so today, but 15 was quite busy with strong Asian
signals.  It's nice to work the young chaps!  I suppose they all have
smartphones and other electronic toys, but they also get amateur licenses, get
on the air, and become sharp CW ops, things we don't see very much of in North
America.  Average age of ops I worked = 54.18  (I worked no
"zero-zero" ops).

Thanks to the participants for the nice little break in the local action for
me!

73,
dan k7ia