[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 17 08:38:31 EDT 2013

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM89ps

Total:  QSOs = 72  Total Score = 211

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I operated low power again this year, to again avoid being an
alligator.  I noticed that last year I failed to indicate low power
when I emailed my log, so my miniscule score wound up in the high
power list.  My apologies for those who might have needed the extra
few points.

This year the noise was minimal until nightfall in Nebraska and
Oklahoma where there were numerous storms making lots of QRN.  I
didn't work any stations west of the Mississippi until considerably
past local midnight, and then KG7H was the only distant station that
could hear me.  I called N6RK a lot, and got numerous ?s and QRZs, but
it was very apparent that he couldn't copy my signal between QRN
bursts (been in that situation a lot!).

Too many stations gave up before I was able to determine the best set
of receiving antennas.  In noisy circumstances, callers should call
many times to allow the callee to change receive antennas and then
piece together the callsign letter by letter.

Activity seemed lower, and that depressed my own interest.  I spent
more time than normal looking for new Asian stations to work in the
All Asian contest and less time CQing on 160.

Heard no Europeans even though the band was quiet in that direction.
I heard KH6ZM but he stopped CQing just when I started to call him.  I
worked T46C but I could not pursuade him to give me a grid square.
KV4FZ was my best DX.

I still tihnk that the summer version of the Stew Perry test would do
better in July or August when there are fewer thunderstorms in the
central US.  However, I am speaking from my own point of view.  Anyone
else have any thoughts about the timing of the festival of static?

Equipment: K3, 8 element phased array, 12 Beverages(not all of them
used), 65 foot "T" top vertical.