[3830] All Asian CW K1LT SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 17 08:51:35 EDT 2013

                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

   15:  254   128
Total:  331   182  Total Score = 59,332

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The All Asian contest is one of my favorites because one can work many
of the more distant locations on the planet.  Furthermore, the distant
locations create unique and challenging propagation issues.

This year, propagation seemed to be particularly good, especially on
15 meters.  The band stayed open quite late, along with 20 meters.  20
meters was fairly noisy though.

I had new equipment to play with for this test.  First, the Elecraft
P3 made band tuning more interesting because I knew what to expect.  I
frequently found that the next signal I was tuning towards would
disappear before I got to it.  But since I had seen the signal on the
display, I could way for it to return.

Second, the new Alpha 8410 taught me the value of quiet fans, which
the 8410 does not have, The idle mode fan is usually quiet, but
running stations seems to require the amplifier to put its cooling fan
in maximum noise mode.  Maybe K8ND will trade the 91B for the 8410.

In years past I was able to make a few contacts on 40 meters, but this
year staying up late made me too sleepy to get up early for the brief
40 meter opening.

Equipment: Elecraft K3, P3, Alpha 8410 (I still have K8ND's 91B),
Cushcraft X7 up 60 feet.