[3830] ARRL FD W2IRT 1E LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 23 17:05:06 EDT 2013

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: W2IRT
Operator(s): W2IRT
Station: W2IRT

Class: 1E LP
QTH: NJ

  160:
   80:   26     40
   40:
   20:         279
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   63    762      0  Total Score = 1,766

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

First Field Day with our new Honda generator, bought post-Sandy. It and almost
everything else performed without incident. Some RF in the SSB audio when using
the MicroHam USB-II interface (clean with mic input) was the only problem, plus
a few settings on this infrequently-used logging laptop needed to be re-set.

I got some great runs going on 15 and 20 phone and stayed in phone for most of
the contest, except when the runs dried up in the wee hours of the night and
toward the end of the contest.

Propagation to the west coast was pretty good, and my C31XR at 72' did not
disappoint. I didn't get onto 40 at all, and 80 was just awful. I was hearing
the other big players who were running but few of the S&P guys were really
getting through, though those who did said I had a strong signal. Noise was S9+
and I shut down around 2am as eyelids began to droop and I was making too many
copying errors.

The "please copy" lids also got me rather irritated, not to mention
the slow-pokes who don't listen and just aren't enclued. This year I had more
problems with non-listeners from TN than any other section, with GA a close
second. Better they mess around here, though, than in CQWW or ARRL
<grin>.

So that's it til IARU next month.