[3830] ARRLDX SSB K2PO M/S LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 3 23:03:17 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K2PO
Operator(s): K2PO WS7L WN6W KU1CW
Station: K2PO

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Oregon

  160:    3     3
Total:  961   295  Total Score = 846,945

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

In the CW test 2 weeks ago, we had a 78 QSO first hour.  In this weekend's SSB
test, we managed 15 QSOs.  Not a promising start.

Fortunately, things got better.  And we ended up beating the 900 QSO target I
had mentally set mid-contest (vs. our 1700 QSOs in CW).  But there's plenty of
room for improvement next year, Sun willing...

As in the CW test, we again saw the band map light up Sunday morning with
European multiplier spots on 10m.  As in the CW test, the spots were all by
east coast contesters; we worked no European on 10m (except 2 Azoreans).  Nor
did we work a single Asian on 10m this weekend(!).

Despite the sub-par conditions, we had a good time.  Thanks to visiting ops Sam
WN6W and Alex KU1CW (who came out Sunday afternoon with Natasha KU1YL), and
especially to Carl WS7L, who made the drive twice - once to staff the wee hours
the first night.

Tnx for all the QSOs,

/Bill, K2PO
Newberg, Oregon