[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3ZJ SOSB/40 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 4 14:22:49 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZJ
Operator(s): K3ZJ
Station: K3ZJ

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  393    80  Total Score = 94,320

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Upon arrival at my mountaintop summer QTH I found that no antenna had survived
winter's ice and wind. Temperatures remained below freezing with high wind and
snow showers, so no *safe* attempt to repair an antenna was feasible.

Decided to go SB40 because it is the one band I had never done single band.
Between snow showers an hour before the contest start I strung up a dipole
NE/SW made from scrap wire.  I had dreams of squeezing my little signal in
among the big signals on 40m. Europe and VK/ZL worked surprisingly well the
first night, but I couldn't get through to JAs, and SA was weak.  Put up second
dipole NW/SE during off time Saturday, and second night got all 9 JAs that I
heard and achieved better results to SA.  While inverted V dipoles at 45 feet
(14 meters) are not competitive antennas on this band, they worked better than
I expected and I enjoyed the contest.

By contest's end I even had mastered some of the many menus and controls on my
back-up and never-before-used TS2000X that I had to press into service.  Got a
late start because the amplifier wouldn't key after I soldered the DIN plug for
the amplifier control cable.  Searching the manual, I finally found that one has
to access "menu 28a" to turn on the transceiver's relay.  Never experienced that
one before!  Anyways, thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

73, Dave K3ZJ