[3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOSB/80 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Mar 6 20:44:51 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~4.3

  160:    3     3
   80:  281    67
   40:    1     1
   20:    9     0
Total:  281    67  Total Score = 56,481

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It is great to be retired! Unfortunately I was still working the CW weekend and
missed 1700Z-0230Z both days besides going out with XYL and missing first 90
minutes. 80 was simply fabulous; I actually felt pretty loud into EU, but when
they piled up on me the EU to EU QRM slowed things down. It was so good that
even the traditionally slow wee hours of the morning in EU the 2nd night were
productive. No Q's with UA9 or central Asia were made, but calls from A65BP,
4Z5, and ZS1EL made up for that, along with 3 southern PY's. C4N called in at
about 20 db over 9, and RU1A and RL3A were S&P'ed at about the same strength!
Lots of UA3/4 new to me on 80 Russians were logged. Northern EU was almost as
loud as southern EU. Overall it was the best I can ever remember on 80 in a
major contest operating from the home QTH, one CQ WW from a local multi-op may
have been better.

Even 10M was a very pleasant surprise with quite a few weak northern EU logged
Saturday along with some loud YO, LZ, 9A, S5, F, and EA stations. I didn't make
it to the shack until 1350Z and despite hearing lots of USA runners, the EU's
calling them were very weak. I debated struggling to dig out weak callers, but
the 2nd CQ was answered by a DL and it was off to the races with some very loud
central and western Europeans. I lucked into the beginning of the good part of
the opening. My only complaint was too little discipline and calling out of
turn. Guys, my time was limited, and I could have logged more of you with
better behavior. In America, we call it "shooting yourself in the foot!" I can
only imagine the struggle the TX5K guys are having with still huge pile ups
from EU about 5-6 days into their operation; they are loud and doing a great
job.

Thanks for making some fun for me on a busy weekend, hopefully the next running
will be even more fun.

73, Jeff