[3830] ARRLDX SSB N8II SOSB/10 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Mar 8 21:17:07 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    3     3
   80:   18    14
   40:    0     0
Total:  788    86  Total Score = 203,304

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I started pretty exhausted with no clear goal in mind and stayed pretty tired
until Sunday morning. 20 was not great at the start compared to CW, just a few
Asians, very loud Caribbean and SA. 20 was great the next morning, but I
finally ran out of EU callers after being called by HS, YB, BD as well as
everyone moved up to 15 and 10.

So, I started on 10 around 15Z with EU signals only from southern EU, but quite
a few of them. There was plenty of SA on 10, but much from AF and OC conditions
were fair at best, quite poor most of the time. 10 opened a bit slowly as
expected Sunday, but was decent by 14Z and finally wide open to DL (hooray!)
and even northern EU. Even a handful of Russians were logged including 3-4
UA3's. I has a great run after giving up on 28450 which everyone seemed to
think they had the right to plop down upon. Many DL, PA, I, G, F, and EA
stations with an abrupt end to my run just before 17Z. EA's were still workable
past 19Z, but most of EU was gone by 1715Z. Sunday afternoon was painfully slow
as expected, but added a few new ones including NH2DX who was unworkable on
scatter the day before. First VK heard or logged was not until around 2230Z
Sunday.

One trend I noticed was more HP stations than LP compared to past years
probably spurred on by ops who steal or try to steal away a run frequency. Many
thanks for all of the QSO's. I was really in the run zone for about 2 hours
Sunday, the 25 watt PD's were loud almost to the weakest one!