[3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK(@NW6P) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 10 04:04:36 EDT 2013

                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - March

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: NW6P

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

   80:   42    0:56
   40:   79   01:49
   20:   62   01:15
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

A lot of fun!  More so if there had been more participation.  Thanks to everyone
who showed up tonight.  And, thanks to my station host, Tom NW6P.

Tom's station is setup for SO1R and I went with that.  I have renewed respect
for SO1R operators ... that was hard!  It's so frustrating not being able to
receive while transmitting and vice versa.  I worked the second receiver hard
but, of course, that's not the same thing as SO2R.  It is really hard to listen
on the other receiver due to it being constantly muted during transmission.

One of my main goals tonight was to continue evaluating the 2Tone decoder.  I
setup six decoder windows, three on each receiver:

     - MMTTY with Standard Profile
     - 2Tone with Normal Filter 1
     = 2Tone with Normal Filter 2

Once again, 2Tone was superior.  There were many times when there was no copy
in the MMTTY window, while one or both 2Tone windows had perfect print.  Filter
2 was better than Filter 1.  2Tone eliminated a lot of repeats and probably
saved some QSOs that would otherwise have been aborted if only MMTTY had been
available.

I encountered a number of issues while configuring Tom's PC and station.  I
thought I had them all resolved until another one surfaced during the second
Sprint QSO.  About half the time, a message would not commence the FSK for 1-3
seconds after PTT was asserted.  Just a steady carrier on the Mark frequency,
and I imagine some of you wondered what was going on.  Since I was transmitting
FSK with WriteLog's Rttyrite code, this isn't a problem with 2Tone.  Maybe the
CPU was bogged down at times.

Ed W0YK