[3830] Commonwealth G4PIQ Open-12 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 10 14:37:31 EDT 2013

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: G4PIQ
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4PIQ

Class: Open-12 HP
QTH: JO02OD

Total:  224  Total Score = 4,580

Contest         : RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Callsign        : G4PIQ

Section         : 12hr Open

Operating time  : 9h02

 BAND   QSO DUP DXC  HQ  POINTS BONUS   AVG

   80    29   0  12   4     145   440 20.17

   40    55   0  22   7     275   780 19.18

   20    52   0  23   5     260   800 20.38

   15    66   0  28   6     330  1020 20.45

   10    22   0  16   1     110   420 24.09

TOTAL   224   0 101  23    1120  3460 20.45

            TOTAL SCORE : 4 580

Rig : Elecraft K3 + Ten Tec Titan. 400W

Ant : 80m Dipole @ 18m

This isn’t a score which will set the table alight, but I wanted to write a
short report outlining what great fun I had in BERU this year.

I had little time and an un-competitive station available this weekend for
BERU, and some of my 9 hours operating time was actually spent with the
computer automatically calling CQ on a quiet band like 10m while I was the
other side of the room dealing with domestic stuff. I probably had about 6
hours of moderately focused operating. I only had one antenna â€" an 80m
dipole
@ 60ft, with some 20m and 40m elements lying twisted up in the tree. I missed
many prime opening times (like Saturday afternoon, peak time for 20m Saturday
night and early Sunday morning), but was at least able to concentrate for a
few hours operating through Saturday night. In spite of all that I worked a
pile of good DX, and had a lot of fun trying to maximize my score within the
constraints I had.

I thought that conditions were good â€" probably the best for many years. I
wasn’t able to make much of 10m because of my time constrains and I’m not
sure
it was that hot. But 40, 20 and 15 were in great shape on Saturday evening
with 15 and 20 open much later than I had expected, and some super signals
from VE7 on 40. ZF2XF and VP2EC were the outstanding signals from the
Caribbean. ZL6HQ was a great signal on 40/20 and workable by ESP on 15m late
on with my peanut antenna, and the activity from Africa (both the travelers
and residents) was good.

Thanks to all the travelers for making it an interesting contest for us all,
and thanks to everyone for the QSOs, and especially to those who moved for me.
Congratulations to those folks with big scores this year as well.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ