[3830] Commonwealth VK3MI Restricted-24 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 11 10:34:59 EDT 2013

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: VK3MI
Operator(s): VK3MI
Station: VK3MI

Class: Restricted-24 LP
QTH: VK3

Total:  221  Total Score = 4,130

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first attempt at a serious 24 hour restricted entry in this contest.
I knew that this would be a challenging exercise from my rental QTH in Melbourne
city but it was harder going than anticipated. I was originally worried that I
would not be able copy signals through the city QRN but it turned out that I
could hear more than I could work. I found that I was not loud enough to
effectively run stations so I ended up making most QSOs in “search and pounce
mode”, and many of these were elongated affairs involving multiple repeats of
my call sign and serial number. On the other hand, search and pouncing meant
that I focused on working bonus point QSOs, and I was delighted to end up
logging a number of stations from rarer locations - including 5X1XA, 6Y6T,
7Q7BP, J34G, J88DR, VP9/G4CWH, VU2PTT, ZF2XF, and ZS1EL. I get the impression
that it is much easier to work Africa stations from VK than it was from my
previous QTHs in ZL.
Radio: Flex-3000 100W.
Antennas: Inverted L long wire for 80M/40M/20M/15M (13m vertical section) and
inverted vee dipole for 10M (9m AGL).
Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and taking the time to pull my signals out of
the QRM and QRN.
73, Brian VK3MI ZL1AZE