[3830] WiQP W9DND(K0PC) SO Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 11 12:28:24 EDT 2013

                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: W9DND
Operator(s): K0PC
Station: K0PC

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: WI

  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  937     0  Mults = 72  Total Score = 219,273.0

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

It was a busy day in Wisconsin on Sunday. The wonderful weather
of the last few years was not in sight this year. Snow on the
way to the start and snow in the last couple of counties made
it an interesting day. Our route kept us out of the worst of it
at the end of the contest where there was a large area of
freezing rain in southern Wisconsin. We got spoiled over the
last few years with sunny days and 50-60 F temperatures. This
year reminds us we are still living in the Great White North.

This was our best effort yet in WIQP with over 219k points and
967 QSOs. That tops our previous best by 20% so it shows a
combination of good conditions and excellent turnout. The
pileups were deafening at times but it seems the same stations
always got through quickest by making themselves stand out
from the crowd with a slight frequency offset or sending speed.

Conditions were good on 40M & 20M all day. We had a lot of noise
on 80M at times near the end. I don't know if that was caused by
the snow or something else.

One gremlin in the radio returned that I thought was solved. The
IC-7000 would occasionally jump frequency by up to half a kHz. I
think this is related to the ground in the cable from the
control face to the radio mounted in the trunk. I tried to fix
it mid day but didn't have a screwdriver small enough to do it
right. My apologies to everyone for jumping away from you, it was
nothing personal.

As I said, the turnout was excellent, we had 242 unique calls in
the log. The Top-Ten list contains these outstanding operators:
20 - N2CU, NT2A
17 - AA4FU
16 - NA0N, W0GXQ
15 - K9PG, N9AUG, W0ZQ
14 - KB9OWD, NY4N, KQ3F

Nobody worked us in all 15 counties, we had less than 8 minutes
in the last county, Pierce, at the end. However, there are four
that had 14 of 15 counties.
14 Counties - N2CU, NT2A, NA0N, W0GXQ

Thanks to everyone who followed us throughout the day. The rates
were very good all day long with the numbers remarkably constant.
Hour 1 - 123
Hour 2 - 136
Hour 3 - 136
Hour 4 - 154
Hour 5 - 133
Hour 6 - 130
Hour 7 - 161

The West Allis Radio Club and the WIQP Team deserve a big round
of applause for organizing this event. The behind the scenes work
really makes for a smooth day. We owe a special thanks to Lynn
Tamblyn, K9KR, who chaired the QSO Party committee for many years
and retired after the 2012 event. Lynn did a great job and gave the
new committee a high mark to shoot for. I just wish Lynn had given
them the secret to controlling the weather.

73 and we look forward to next year,

John W9DND and Pat K0PC