[3830] BARTG 8P2K(8P6SH) SOSB/10 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 17 19:34:37 EDT 2013

                    BARTG HF RTTY Contest

Call: 8P2K
Operator(s): 8P6SH
Station: 8P6SH

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: Barbados

   10:  205      37         14
-----------------------------------
Total:  205      37         14  Continents = 6  Total Score = 62,730

The on-going station development work limited me to SOSB on 10m and without the
services of the amplifier it was a brutal week-end with rapidly downsized goals
as the reality of 10m propagation kicked in.

Working all 6 continental multipliers was important so was glad to snare HZ1PS
who was the sixth continent relatively early on Sunday. Disappointed to miss
out on VE6, VE1 and VE5 and never heard any VK's all weekend. No complaints
about the JA's haven't worked one on 10m for a very long time.

Was great to hear a VP8 and I worked that station on a 2-vertical array which
was erected on Friday to provide a permanent south-pointing antenna with modest
gain. This array uses 1/8 wave spacing and is fed with 157 and 196 degree lines
producing an end-fire south-pointing signal. Unfortunately the hign numbers of
SA stations never came to the party.

Used the FT950 and it held up nicely driving all week-end long at about 80W
output. Used two beams fixed on EU and NA in addition to the verticals pointed
south. Will likely use a similar configuration in the CQ WPX phone in a couple
weeks.

I am convinced 10m was actually open quite nicely but stations weren't checking
out the activity on that band. Many signals were extremely strong but there was
also deep QSB on many signals. Thanks to all the stations that pulled my signal
out of the noise.

See you in the next contest.

Regards,

Dean - 8P6SH @ 8P2K