[3830] WPX SSB AD7JP(K2PO) SO(A)AB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 31 21:16:03 EDT 2013

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AD7JP
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Oregon

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

It was a "best of times - worst of times" sort of contest (or, more
accurately, vice-versa).

Conditions were initially horrible.  Our west coast tradition for Friday
afternoons - a JA run on 15m - never materialized.  Then 40m was a bust - with
loud QRN and pathetic signals.  80m was worse.  And Saturday morning wasn't
much better.  No Europeans on 15m, and only marginal signals on 20m.

The salvation finally came Saturday evening with a great 20m opening to
northern Russia, etc.  I worked 110+ stations in less than an hour - heady
stuff for 100 watts.  And then 40m resurrected itself, with booming European
signals.

I wasn't able to put in a full effort this weekend due to Easter commitments,
so soon after I got 1000 QSOs and then a million points at about 11pm Saturday
night, I pulled the plug.

Due to the Saturday evening run, my log ended up Russian heavy - with a total
of 115 'R' and 'U' calls, to only 70 'J' calls (and only 72 total Europeans).
60% of my contacts were North Americans; 47% were from CQs.

Thanks to the 'real' AD7JP for use of his call, and to all the folks who
patiently dealt with repeats (asked and given), and most especially to the
casual contesters who make up most of the log.

73,

/Bill, K2PO
Oregon