[3830] NewEngQP N2WN Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 6 08:00:16 EDT 2013

                    New England QSO Party

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Grainger Co., TN
Operating Time (hrs): 18:18

   80:     23        1
   40:     75        5
   20:    145       57
   15:     74       12
   10:      9
------------------------
Total:    326       75  Mults = 67  Total Score = 48,575

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I wasn't sure if I'd get to play at all this weekend, thunderstorms were
predicted but we only had rain and a heck of a lot of wind. Initially my
motivation was somewhat lacking, too much going on, but was curious what the
contest would be like with better propagation.

The rates were decent the first few hours, and as it turns out the entire
contest. The start was kinda "where's waldo" as the best place from
here turned out to be 15 and 20. 40 seemed long at times and provided a real
challenge with the mobiles and some of the other stations, others seemed to
hear me no matter what, which was way cool.

I was tickled to work a number of stations on 10. Only missed three that I
heard there. SSB seemed a bit slower than last year, but I may have missed some
of the better times there. CW was more productive and with multiple bands it was
time well spent. I almost worked more CW stations this year than my combined
total last... Many thanks to all those who came out even for a little while.

There were some slow periods waiting on the mobile(s) I could hear to change
counties, worked a few 7 and IN QPers betwixt. Heard a lot of DX calling the
various QPers, sometimes without much luck. Think the NE folks had beams
stateside. RL3A and AH6RE were heard a lot. RL3A had a great signal most of the
time. AH6RE was noted because he was off the side of my antennas and was still
easy copy.

This was the first NEQP that I was able to work folks on all five active bands.
No all modes on five bands, but I'm tickled with what I did get. Hope conditions
are as good, or better, for the TnQP.

Nearing the end of the contest I didn't think I was going to make the sweep. I
was missing four counties. I was kinda glad to see Paul, N4PN, was in the same
boat missing one (overheard him offering a steak dinner if someone would drive
over and put that county on, wonder if he has to pay up hihi). The one that
worried me was NANMA, had heard the exchange several times, but could not find
a station running, none came back to my CQs. Managed to nail down W1NQT in a
pileup and many thanks for running! The other three were provided by WA1Z and
K1KI (worried about GRAVT as it was his last county, but caught him on two
bands).

Bob, WA1Z, was my top QSO provider. We moved a couple times to different modes
and bands when things got slow. I think only one contact didn't happen as 15
had faded. Bob has the new N2WN "most worked mobile" award in any
NEQP with a mega 44 contacts. K1KI just edged out KM3T, 20 to 19. KX9X was good
for 6. I didn't have a lot of luck with the other mobiles, not sure if I was on
the wrong bands or ??? Many thanks to anyone who hit the road for the party.

Also many thanks to Vern, W1VB, for sponsoring the 2012 (and all the other
years I've won) US QRP Plaque, which arrived last week. Also to Ben &
Jerry's for the pint of sin certificate. The folks who work behind the scenes
are priceless and appreciated!

Hope to see everyone in the TnQP, even if it's only for a few QSOs. Maybe see
some of you at Dayton next week, either CTU or FDIM, or on the "field of
dreams" junquefest ;o)

72,
Julius
n2wn