[3830] WPX CW W5WMU(N5DX) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 26 22:27:01 EDT 2013

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W5WMU
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: W5WMU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ME

   20: 1384

What a blast!

Operating from the east coast and spending time with our hosts Pat, W5WMU, and
his wife Alice sure made this a great mini vacation.  I'm not sure I can go
back to operating DX contests from Arkansas after this experience.  The
conditions were probably bad by most people's standards but they sure sounded
amazing to me.  The signals from Europe were LOUD on 80, 40, and 20.

Murphy visited a couple of times during the contest.  The first happened when
our 40 meter coax was fried 30 minutes into the contest and I could only use
the 40 meter antenna on the second radio.  That really hurt my overall score.
Since I couldn't run on 40, I ran on 80 the entire first night which was really
fun.  We fixed the 40 meter coax Saturday morning and it worked FB the rest of
the contest.  The second Murphy visit happened when the second radio was zapped
at the half way point of the contest.  So I spent that last 18 hours of the
contest with only one radio.  I think that these two mishaps caused me to leave
about 300 QSOs on the table.

Thanks to Pat's son, Doug, who made the trip to Maine to help get everything
prepared.  I really appreciate the time that Pat and Doug put into getting the
station ready for the contest.  The weather was rough but they were out in the
cold rain and wind making every change and fix that needed to be made.  I'm
very fortunate that my wife could make the trip with me to the eastern most
point in the United States.  We had a great time.

73,
Kevin, N5DX